Sunday

a holy sound

I am a dreamer, a wishful thinker. Along with Anne of Green Gables, I "soar on the wings of anticipation". I imagine, I picture.

This week of studying the goat for Azazel has deeply impacted me. My soul has been still and my soul has soared. I have been reminded yet again that Leviticus paints the sky and weaves the golden, scarlet and purple threads. But is is not the book of Leviticus is it? What is Leviticus? It is the voice of Jehovah. If you took your red pen and underlined every word that is Jehovah speaking..you would find pages and pages of red in front of you.

He, by His own words and voice, patiently and with great love (and I believe delight and merriment) explains all that He wants us to know. What an incredible picture he draws for us...it is truly a picture of thousands of words.

I imagine the Day of Atonement in the day of the Israelites...before we reach Isaiah and God's disgust of what the day has become to them.

All are gathered....all is prepared...He, Jehovah God is there in the cloud of incense above the mercy seat. The sacrifices are ready and waiting. All who have a role in this great day are prepared, cleansed and purified. It is a HOLY day.

Jehovah has said many things about the day and the two that touch me today are that it is to be a Holy Convocation and they are to humble their souls.

A convocation is a calling out, a voice, there is sound in this picture. There is the ram's horn blowing, there is the sound of the animals, the babies, the small children. There is crackle of fire and hiss of fat. The splashing of water. There is the confession and calling out of iniquities and transgressions by the High Priest.

The role of the people is one thing only: to humble their souls, afflict their souls. Do we have any concept in 21st century America what this means? to humble our souls? O Beloved the sound that is made from this humbling, this affliction.

Their is crying out, wailing, weeping, singing, howling. There is sound, there is noise , there is voice and togetherness. There is no work, there is only rest...and what a vocal rest it is! What a journey from mourning into dancing.

As I think about this Day of Atonement, I read Psalm 116 in a whole new understanding.

Psalm 116

Thanksgiving for Deliverance from Death.
I love the LORD, because He hears
My voice and my supplications.
Because He has inclined His ear to me,
Therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live.
The cords of death encompassed me
And the terrors of Sheol came upon me;
I found distress and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the LORD:
"O LORD, I beseech You, save my life!"
Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
Yes, our God is compassionate.
The LORD preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me.
Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
For You have rescued my soul from death,
My eyes from tears,
My feet from stumbling.
I shall walk before the LORD
In the land of the living.
I believed when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted."
I said in my alarm,
"All men are liars."
What shall I render to the LORD
For all His benefits toward me?
I shall lift up the cup of salvation
And call upon the name of the LORD.
I shall pay my vows to the LORD,
Oh may it be in the presence of all His people.
Precious in the sight of the LORD
Is the death of His godly ones.
O LORD, surely I am Your servant,
I am Your servant, the son of Your handmaid,
You have loosed my bonds.
To You I shall offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving,
And call upon the name of the LORD.
I shall pay my vows to the LORD,
Oh may it be in the presence of all His people,
In the courts of the LORD'S house,
In the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD!


Thank You, Thank You o Father, Son and Holy Spirit....that You have delivered us from death into life.

No comments: